Please note that these policies are in development and are subject to change.
Our physical location at 3107 Bloor Street will be reopening on Tuesday, September 8, and will be following safety precautions including safe social distancing and masks to ensure your safety. As we are not a licensed daycare and as per our “Care of Child” policy, please note that the ultimate safety, security, and supervision of your child remains the exclusive responsibility of the parent or legal guardian.
We are working hard to provide the safest teaching environment we can following the recommendations of the Government of Ontario. These precautions include, but are not limited to the following:
- A positive and warm environment must be maintained at Orrett. Please be patient with teachers and admin. While we will do our best to stay on schedule and provide maximum learning time, maintaining a clean and safe environment can sometimes cause some small delays, especially in September as everyone adjusts. Admin reserves the right to send home anyone who creates a disturbance or who refuses to abide by our safety policies.
Screening to enter Orrett Music Academy:
- All students and parents MUST use the hand sanitizer which is on the opposite wall OUTSIDE of the academy BEFORE entering for lessons.
- All persons entering Orrett Music Academy will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms.
- A contact-free thermometer and sanitizer will be provided.
- Anyone with Covid-19 symptoms will be sent home (as well as any members of their household who may be accompanying them to the lesson) and will forfeit their lesson. Admin staff and teachers reserve the right to make this determination. For this reason, we encourage families to pre-screen at home prior to coming to lessons.
- **Please note that a student/parent may make a last minute request (by emailing their teacher at least 30 minutes prior) to switch an in-person lesson to an online lesson for any reason and as long as they do this from home and do not come to our physical location, they do NOT forfeit the lesson. This should make everyone who is present at our physical location feel more comfortable.
- All persons in the building are required to wear a mask/face shield, including parents, students, and teachers. Children under the age of 2 are not required. If you have a health condition that prevents you/ your child from wearing a mask, please let us know.
- A positive and warm enrivonment must be maintained at Orrett. Please be patient with teachers and admin. Admin reserves the right to send home anyone creative a disturbance or refusing to abide by our safety
Our sanitizing procedures:
- Doorknobs, piano keys, washroom keys, and other surfaces will be wiped down regularly
- Hand sanitizer will be readily available
- Each teaching room has an air intake and air return for air circulation. A rooftop filter is changed regularly but is not medical grade.
Our waiting area:
- Our waiting area remains open with limited seating. Physical distancing will be strictly enforced.
- Food and drink is not permitted in the waiting area
- Our waiting area will not have our usual toys and books to reduce spreading germs.
- Family members of students who are not attending a lesson (ie siblings etc) are discouraged from accompanying students to lessons.
- While we do have a few seats, parents are discouraged from waiting on the premises while their child has their lesson due to space limitations but are encouraged to be present for end the of lesson update from teacher.
- Parents of young children may accompany their child to their lesson to assist
Our private lessons:
- While every effort will be made to maintain physical distancing between student and teacher, this is not always fully possible for practical teaching reasons.
- Masks/ face shields are required for teachers and students.
- Our voice private lesson studios are outfitted with plexiglass to separate the teacher and student
- All piano lesson rooms now have a second keyboard to demonstrate while students sit their own piano
- Piano keys and door handles will be sanitized between each lesson
Our group classes
- As of today all Group Classes are on hold until further notice to reduce the total number of students at the academy and to ensure health and safety. Stay tuned for updates to this (and other) safety policies.